How To Respond To Flood Damage In Your Home
When water floods your home, it is overwhelming. Many property owners do not know how to respond, so they try to begin damage cleanup on their own. However, failing to follow specific steps can actually cause more damage, and mean longer restoration time for your home. Since all homeowners in Collierville should be prepared for the possibility of flood damage, American Veterans Restoration has put together 10 response steps that will help keep you safe and ensure a better and faster flood damage restoration for your home and property.
Responding to Flood Damage in your Home:
- Contact you Insurance Agency. Whether or not your policy covers water damage from flooding, it is still important to reach out to your homeowners insurance and let them know what has happened. It is also beneficial to let your insurance agency know which restoration company you are working with. Most restoration companies have experience working with insurance companies and will be able to help file claims or answer questions you may have.
- Evaluate the structural integrity before entering a flooded area. When in doubt, do not enter at all until a qualified structural builder or engineer has cleared the home.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure safety. Make sure power to the area is turned off.
- Young children and pets should be kept out of the affected area.
- Wear personal protective clothing (rubber gloves, boots, etc) if you have to be in contact with water, and treat all water as if it is contaminated (most flood water is). Try to avoid any contact if at all possible.
- Document Damage. Take photos of the damage your property has ensued, and make a detailed list of damaged inventory. An adjuster will be sent to your home to evaluate the loss, but do not wait for them to arrive before you begin documenting it yourself. Photos and documentation will help to prove loss mitigation.
- Open doors and windows to allow ventilation. Airflow will discourage microbial growth and mold.
- Remove furniture or standing items that can be taken out of the area. Any belongings in the affected area will need to be removed before cleanup and restoration can begin, and items that have been damaged beyond repair will only take up space and hold onto unnecessary moisture in the area.
- Do not panic. It is stressful and overwhelming when dealing with flooding in your home. However, if you can stay, things will be much easier to deal with.
- Call a professional water damage restoration company. American Veterans Restoration provides superior flood damage restoration in Collierville. Our response is immediate so that we can quickly secure your property and minimize the extent of the damage. We are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so that we can be there whenever flooding occurs. It doesn’t matter how big or small the flood damage is, our team has the equipment, talent, experience, and expertise to swiftly clean and restore the damage to your property.