For as dangerous as house fires can be, anything you can do to decrease the risk of having one in your home is worth the effort. Fortunately, there are many different steps you can take to prevent fire damage that only require a few minutes of your time. These are the steps that we at American Veterans Restoration in Collierville recommend you take.
Sure, you might have to grab a stool so you can reach fire alarms on high ceilings, but you can perform this essential task in a matter of moments. Although smoke alarms beep when the batteries are dying to alert you that they need to be replaced, you shouldn’t rely on that alone. Take the time to check them manually to ensure that everything is functioning properly so you can be promptly notified if a fire starts in your home.
It only takes a few moments to check the expiration date on a fire extinguisher and make sure it works. This is important because a working fire extinguisher can be the difference between a small fire that gets put out quickly and a raging inferno that devours most of your home.
Amongst all the loads of laundry that need to be done, cleaning out the dryer lint may be the last thing on your mind. Despite this, it is still very important to remember to do this. Dryer lint is extremely flammable and can light up at the smallest spark. It is so flammable that it can even be used for kindling to start campfires. It is easily worth the few seconds it takes to regularly remove dryer lint from your dryer.
This is not something you just do once and then do again later. Instead, you should always be aware and on the lookout for issues with your wiring. You don’t need to go out of your way to inspect your home all the time, but you should take a few moments here or there to make sure everything is functioning properly. If you are having electrical problems like circuits shorting out inconsistent power flow then you should investigate the matter more carefully. You may even want to call in an electrician to do an inspection for you.
Similar to being on the lookout for faulty wiring, being careful in the kitchen isn’t something you can put on a checklist. It is simply being aware of your surroundings while you are cooking and never leaving heat sources unattended. If you need to leave the room, turn of any heat sources. It is better to be safe than sorry.
By taking just a few extra moments out of your day and following these tips above, you can bring yourself a great deal of peace of mind regarding fire safety in your home. Nonetheless, if your home is ever affected by fire damage, don’t hesitate to give us a call at American Veteran’s Restoration in Collierville for help.